Jams with Honey as sweetener

Canning, Dehydrating, Freezing, Fermenting, etc.

Moderator: matt walker

Jams with Honey as sweetener

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:20 pm

I was on another permiculture site recently, [ The one with the Benevilent Dictator in charge ] and came across a thread about using honey as the sweetener instead of sugar in Jams and Jelly. Here is a site with at least one recipe for Strawberry Honey Jam.

http://www.gastronometart.com/gastronom ... y-jam.html

I have never heard of this idea befor but I loved it. I love strawberry jelly, and I love Honey, I can't see what could possibly go wrong, ;) Has anyone actually tried this idea, and if so how did it turn out. Many things that sound great turn out to be not so hot when you actually get to try them. :lol:
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Re: Jams with Honey as sweetener

Postby matt walker » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:28 am

That does sound like a great idea. Can't see why it wouldn't be great, but I've said that before, and I'm good a being wrong. :lol:

It's way past jam season here or I'd give it a try. That reminds me I've got to get those apples in tomorrow!
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby Lollykoko » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:17 am

Guy, I will refer the recipe to Charlotte and see if she wants to give it a try. I know she had a bunch of strawberries in the freezer that she was planning to turn into jam. Hopefully, all the stuff she had to do after we came back from PA has kept her from getting that done.
Lollykoko

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:37 pm

If she decides to try the honey recipe I would love to hear how it turns out, how it jells up, and most importantly how you like the taste. :D
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:54 pm

I have found a number of other recipes on line that use honey and fruits to make jam. Here is one for Peach Honey jelly. Notice that I am posting types of jelly that I like, ;) lol I am sure there are many more that you can try if you wish. I have never tried any of these so I can not recommend them from personal experiance, they just sounded good to me. :) I found this one, as well as many others at cooks.com.

PEACH JAM WITH HONEY

6 c. peaches
2 c. honey
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 box powdered pectin
Juice of a lemon

Dip peaches in hot water; then cold. Peel, pit, cut up and measure the 6 cups. Mash and add pectin. Bring to a boil and add honey, lemon juice and spices. Over high heat bring to a boil and cook 5 minutes. Spoon into sterile jars to 1/4 inch of top. Seal and process 10 minutes in boiling water. Yield: 6 half pints.
pa_friendly_guy

Return to Stocking Up