[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Spammers....

Spammers....

Help create a community

Moderator: matt walker

Spammers....

Postby matt walker » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:19 pm

well, they're kinda annoying. Any ideas on how to mitigate this? Mr. North Wind? Anyone?
matt walker
Site Admin

Re: Spammers....

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:41 pm

I am sorry Matt, but I have no clue when it comes to stopping such things. I agree that they are a minor inconvenience, but you seem to be right on top of things and errase their posts right away. I am guessing that you ban them from the group as well. Keep up the Good Work. You get a big AT-A-Boy
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby the north wind » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:08 pm

Sorry Matt, I got the sick right now, and am behind on my work as well. I'll take a look into this in a bit. I think there is an option to only let people into the group after they have been approved. Should be pretty easy to weed people out by looking at the info the enter for their profile, I think.

I'll do some more google research, but in the meantime, maybe some helpful stuff here ? http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=759835
the north wind

Postby matt walker » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:37 pm

Thank you Mr. TNW. I did that last night, set it so that new registrations need approval. I don't mind, it's really easy to tell by the username if it's a spammer. I do worry that a real person might not get through, though. I'm gonna read up now, thanks for the link.

Get well soon. <insert emotive kitten picture here>
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby matt walker » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:30 am

Okay, I did some research, and changed some things about the registration process. I removed the part where I need to authorize new members, in hopes that the other changes will keep out the spam and allow real people in. If anyone hears of someone having problems registering, or sees spam that I've missed, please let me know. We'll get this board running smooth and keep it open to everyone, if possible.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby matt walker » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:14 pm

Well, unless I broke something and nobody can get in, I think I found the solution. If anyone cares, the answer is: Have a question and answer field in the registration process, in place of that Captcha thingy. I changed to that, and so far, no spammers. No new registrations either, so I hope I didn't mess it up!
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby Lemicha » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:50 am

...hmmm :shock: and maybe a note on the activation email that new members be advised to go to their control panel ASAP and personalise their details to ensure that their email address doesn't end up being used for spamming by major pains in the butt, that seem to be :? ...not as nice as the regulars on this site! I have read and perused many forums seeking different information, but not joined in and signed up. So I was not aware what can and cannot be accessed... BAM was hit in my emails. Different people but links to same address. I deleted and blocked these without entering the sites but since I have not had my email address anywhere new but here for a while, can only assume that there are always people ready to pounce on the unsuspecting newbies... :x GRRRRR to them!!
On a brighter note...doin' a great job Matt :) You all seem to be a nice bunch to join in with! :D
Someone else's opinion of you does not have to become your reality.
Dream like a child...Plan like an adult
Lemicha

Postby matt walker » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:40 am

Hey, thanks for the info and kind words Lemicha. Did you have your email in your public profile, or did they get it through this site some way I'm not aware of? I know that the spam bots are crazy aggressive these days, if there's an address publicly visible it will get spammed mercilessly. I'll see if I can put that detail in the sign up email. Thanks again.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby Lemicha » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:13 am

Hi Matt, I hadn't been into the user control panel at all. After activation my computer decided to behave very badly :? Well actually it had been on the war path for days... :evil: ...irrespective...
All the settings were at the basic start-up. As soon as I was able to get back to the site, learn my way round, I changed my "Board preference, edit global settings...
@ Users can contact me by email...from yes to no.
@ Admin can email me information...from yes to no. "
Since I did that I haven't had any more problems. :roll: *touch wood*
So all is *happy* :D
Someone else's opinion of you does not have to become your reality.
Dream like a child...Plan like an adult
Lemicha

Return to The Suggestion Box