[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - New here

New here

Start a thread for your 'stead!

Moderator: matt walker

Re: New here

Postby matt walker » Wed May 14, 2014 2:48 pm

Interesting set up with the SPDT switches for source select Snuffy. Lots of control that way, as opposed to a transfer switch for the whole system. I suppose there are a lot of times when you have excess power to burn, so why not invert to the kitchen outlets, or whatever. That's my kind of system, one where the operator is involved. I do a lot of designing systems and the biggest challenge is trying to design the operator out of the system, and I'm always aware that if I were designing for myself I would have much more manual control. Sounds like you did exactly that. I am curious, where is the over current protection on the circuits? Right after the source select? Each bus feeds one side of the switch, output to breaker, then load?
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby snuffy » Wed May 14, 2014 3:53 pm

snuffy

Postby mannytheseacow » Sat May 17, 2014 3:53 am

Sounds like a complicated system, Snuffy. I like that you can do the generator back-up though. You bring up another good point, though.... having 240v. I honestly don't know if my system is capable of creating 2 phase or not. I think it can, but that is one thing that has kept me from running a 12v system at my house: I have a 375' deep well and a 12v pump isn't going to pump that. I'm up on a ridge top and water is way down under me. No matter how frugal I am with my electricity I'm still running 220v to pump water up. I collect rainwater and use it as much as possible but I don't have a potable water collection system yet.

My inverters are Enphase microinverters. I have one on each panel and it converts it to 110V right at the panel.

Where is that covered bridge in your photo? It looks just like about an hour away from me in Morrison, IL.
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby snuffy » Sat May 17, 2014 1:13 pm

My well is 340 feet deep but the water level is only 7 feet from the surface so I could use a 12 volt pump. Obtaining potable water here is very easy. I pounded in a 25 foot point well in the back barn so I'd have water nearby to water the horse we had years ago. The covered bridge is in Frankenmuth, MI which is fairly close by.
snuffy

Postby Bobwieser » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:26 am

Manney, do you have 4700 KW or 4700 watts of solar.
Bobwieser

Postby mannytheseacow » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:33 pm

Good catch, Bob. 4700 watts or 4.7kw.
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Previous

Return to Members' 'steads