hello

Come on in and hang out

Moderator: matt walker

hello

Postby thickstrings » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:54 pm

Well, I joined yesterday, and I would like to say Hi. I live on 15 acres in zone 7a-b in the Arkansas river valley. I have been here for about 10 yrs. I really like this forum, nice vibe. I like to play with fire, have a brick oven in the back yard. Currently waiting on a little 4" rocket core to dry in the shop. Sort of a experiment...so far, I've learned, I should have started with a 8".....I used to garden, but, drought and gophers finally won....now just a few containers. I don't have livestock, but, there have been 12 dogs here for a while.....now, thankfully, down to 2. My interests are generally in the " Wow, that's cool" department....I have been looking at geodesic dome plans lately,so, who knows......Pizza hut,next to the pizza oven? Anyway, that's it...Glad to be here....
" Life is art...Live a masterpiece"
thickstrings

Re: hello

Postby matt walker » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:22 pm

Welcome TS, glad to have you here. I like the idea of the pizza hut, have you heard of Star Plates? I have a set in my garage waiting for a million other projects to finish up. Looking forward to seeing more of your place, I really like that part of the country.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby thickstrings » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:26 pm

Well thanks. Yes this part of the world is pretty nice....fall , winter and spring, not so much now. Taxes are negligible and building permits are,well..........I had a set of star plates way back in the 70's...built a shed in Wisconsin with them....I am looking at these now http://www.domeconnectors.com/about.php
thickstrings

Postby mannytheseacow » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:40 am

Pleased to make your acquaintance, thickstrings. I'd love to see more of your brick oven. I've had one on my to-do list for years.
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby matt walker » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:38 am

I was not aware of those dome connectors. Cool man, thank you for that link.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby thickstrings » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:01 am

I used to have start to finish pictures, but, a month ago the hard drive gave up on my 12 yr. old Dell.....I'll have to take some more. I actually bought the core for the brick oven, and did the rest..It was cheaper than trying to get fire brick ,about 300 of them delivered here..Still had to get a ton of ceramic fiber insulation and a couple of pallets of reg. bricks, ect. It takes about 2 hrs to get it up to 700-800 f with a arm full of oak,,,but, it will still be 450-500f the next day. So, the usual is, pizza on fri.,pizza cooks in 90 seconds... bread, on sat am and a pork shoulder over night for sun...Fire once and cook for 3 days. What ever I cook in it just taste better. Pizza will cook in 90 seconds.Trying to locate a suckling pig as it has a place to put a spit in it.
thickstrings

Postby Lollykoko » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:43 am

Hello TS. Thanks for starting a dome conversation.
Lollykoko

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:25 pm

Welcome, Glad to have you with us. I love brick ovens. A friend of mine just had a picnic and cooked pizza for everyone with his brick oven. It was great.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby thickstrings » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:12 pm

I have found a few pic's that were on the brick oven site that I frequent. I have moved them to photo bucket....how do I get them on here?
thickstrings

Postby mannytheseacow » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:55 pm

Can't wait to see them TS. In photobucket, when your looking at a picture there are a bunch of scripts on the right side. I click on "direct link" and copy that link. Then here in your post click on "Img" and just paste the link between the two "[img]" boxes so it looks like [img]your-link[img].
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Next

Return to The Hangout