[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Apple Wine

Apple Wine

Canning, Dehydrating, Freezing, Fermenting, etc.

Moderator: matt walker

Apple Wine

Postby mannytheseacow » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:46 pm

I've got lots of apples... Anyone care to share wine recipes?

So if I stick them in the freezer for a while, bring them out, throw them in a bucket, add champaign yeast... Anything else? Do I need to fortify it with sugar?
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Re: Apple Wine

Postby matt walker » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:57 pm

I usually do my standard sugar ratio, which is in the range of 7lbs to 5 gallons. Of course, I'm usually going for max potency as it sometimes becomes other products over the winter. I have considered doing some without but the apple wines I've tried I didn't care for. I think hard cider is probably a better choice if you are going to drink it as is. However, that said, wine sure is easy. I freeze 'em, then hit them with a paint stirrer in the bucket to mash them all up. I don't bother to strain, just go right from there adding in the yeast. In the past I would add boiling water, but I haven't had one go vinegar on me yet so I skip that step these days in my quest for crappy methods.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby DrewInToledo » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:30 pm

Seach google for "apfelwein". Its simple to make.
Do vegetarians eat animal crackers or coconut meat?
DrewInToledo

Postby matt walker » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:30 pm

Wait, I made that apple wine I had all this winter the way I described above. Scratch the part about not liking it, I forgot about that success already. That was a good batch, I think you guys had some as it was getting a bit older. I'd do that again for sure.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby mannytheseacow » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:23 pm

Thanks guys. Yep, that apple wine you made was awesome, Matt. That's what I was thinking of. I kind of remembered how you did it but I couldn't remember how much sugar or if you added any spices or anything. I was also wondering if anybody else had any experience with it. I figured I'd try one Matt's way and then some others as many as people had input to share.

Thanks for your help, Drew. Are you German or just an alcoholic? :lol: I'm both. 8-) I read a couple of homebrew forums with recipes for apfelwien and apple juice seems to be the common ingredient though whole apples would work just as well. Most of the apfelwein recipes I saw use significantly less sugar. Some call for sweetening afterwards and preserving to prevent further fermentation.

I really like the lazy way of throwing the mush in a bucket and ladling out a drink as needed. That will probably be my method regardless of the recipe.
mannytheseacow

Postby matt walker » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:16 pm

Yeah, that was a great batch I made last year. It wasn't too long after you guys were here that it turned though, you were getting it right at the end. There's still a couple gallons left in one bucket, but it's pretty dang tangy at this point. It went through some great phases, from sweet to dry to vinegary. I am still using what's left for things like pot roast broth and mustard/apple deglaze sauces and the like, but it did eventually turn there in the bucket. It did make it probably nine months though, and if I hadn't made 15 gallons at once I'm guessing none of it would have made it to spring anyway. I do hope to progress a bit and do some cider, but now that you reminded me I will definitely do a bucket of the straight apple wine again. I have a LOT of plums this year for wine as well, which is my favorite of my fruits to make wine with. I'll send you some pits when I send the wheat, you need some of these mirabelle trees for sure.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby DrewInToledo » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:59 am

Do vegetarians eat animal crackers or coconut meat?
DrewInToledo

Postby matt walker » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:31 pm

Well, you motivated me Manny. I've got 20 gallons sitting over there, about 4 days in. Man, it is sooo good already. Just fizzy cider, but I have to be careful I don't drink it all. Did you get around to making some?
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby mannytheseacow » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:46 am

I got in late in the game. I had a hard time finding any apples left but managed to fill a 6 gallon bucket with frozen apple mush. I left it for 2 weeks with the sugar and yeast, and just racked off the liquid into a 5 1/2 gallon glass carboy yesterday. Even after pressing the fermented mush through a muslin bag, I had to add over a gallon of water to top the carboy up to the neck. Now it's fizzing away and like yours, mighty tasty already. Pressing the mush I was nearly breathless from the ethanol fumes. That 5 1/2 gallons won't last long.
mannytheseacow

Return to Stocking Up