[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - 6" to 8" Conversion at the seacow

6" to 8" Conversion at the seacow

Rocket Mass Heaters, Rocket Ovens, Cold boxes, Solar collectors, etc..
Talk about your projects

Moderator: matt walker

Re: 6" to 8" Conversion at the seacow

Postby ByronC » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:07 am

I saw that! Good looking riser tube, and it appears to be about 24" long? I'll check out the south east US refractory suppliers and see what I can scare up. That monster batchbox you guys built is something else. Peterburg dropped in a post over at Permies, including the brick layout, lots of photos and other details. I'll include the link here for others that may be reading this thread:

http://www.permies.com/t/40007/rocket-s ... Innovators

An old house was being demo'd just down the road, and for several days was open for anyone to salvage anything they wanted. There was an old rusted out wood fired funace in there, and I salvaged the cast iron doors with mounting flanges! I'm thinking 6" batchbox now:-> Either that or use the doors for cleanout access to a bell style bench.
ByronC

Postby mannytheseacow » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:52 pm

Never really did post a photo of the finished RMH. Really loving this thing this year.
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby matt walker » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:25 pm

That looks so good Manny! Can we get a bigger picture someday?
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby mannytheseacow » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:24 am

Whoops. I didn't realize it was that small. Give me a couple of days to get somewhere with enough bandwidth to upload a bigger photo and I'll make it easier to see.
mannytheseacow

Postby mannytheseacow » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:35 am

Bigger photo, same resolution. Sorry,not much I can do about that.
mannytheseacow

Postby matt walker » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:43 am

It looks awesome! Nice finish with the slab on the arm rest there. I hadn't noticed that until now, I love it.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby mannytheseacow » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:39 pm

Thanks. The armrest was my wife's idea and I really like it too. It was too short before and now it's just the perfect height. Nice and level for a cup, too.

I'd still like to add another layer of plaster to make it all nice and smooth, especially since I've had a chance to work with a lot of different mixes not, but that's pretty low on the priority list.

I also found a bottle of muriatic acid in the dumpster with a little bit left in the gallon, so I acid washed the bricks last fall. I think it was too long after mortaring so it didn't clean up too much. Lesson learned. It helped a little, though.
mannytheseacow

Postby ByronC » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:37 pm

Looks really nice Manny. I like the rustic brick look myself. What did you use for mortar when laying up the brick for your bench? Type N cement and sand? Or did you do it masnory heater style with a clay and sand mortar?
ByronC

Postby hpmer » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:58 pm

Beautifully done, Manny.
hpmer

Postby mannytheseacow » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:19 pm

mannytheseacow

PreviousNext

Return to Heating and Cooling