[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - My New Firewood Trailer

My New Firewood Trailer

Start a thread for your 'stead!

Moderator: matt walker

My New Firewood Trailer

Postby matt walker » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:18 pm

I've had a lot of projects going this winter and haven't posted about them all yet, but here's one I've been looking forward to sharing for a while.

My friend donated an old farm built splitter to my project in hopes that we could share the tools when I got them fixed up. Perfect!

I told him I'd try to get it running before tearing it up too much....well, that didn't last long.

I got it running, barely, and discovered it was going to need a bigger reservoir, new pump, etc, etc, etc, etc......I started with new carb for the little Honda, and it went on from there....

As I started thinking about a larger hydraulic reservoir, I started thinking the little axle it was on wasn't going to work any more, and I wanted to be able to tow it on the road to my friend's and such, since that was part of the deal. I started looking on Craig'slist and found this little beauty for $240. It's home built, all steel, and came with the work box, spare, all lighting and a clear title so it's licensed. Score. Here it is after I started cobbling together the splitter stand...

So stoked on it! I can put all my saws, saw tools, axes, lines and comealongs, protection gear, and so on, in the box. Tow it to my day's work site and I have everything I need. I started using it and realized it was the perfect thing to move the material to the stacks as well, and since it's a low deck I can walk on and off for unloading. So perfect! So, I built a wood box...

I LOVE this tool! Not just the splitter, but the whole thing. Moving wood is way, way easier on me. I used to load it into my high truck and have to climb in and out, or throw it out in a pile then pick it up again. This is a one shot deal, split it into the trailer, move the rig, walk on and off and stack. The splitter is awesome, although it needs some fine tuning. I ended up with only the Honda and beam/cylinder from the original unit, all else I bought new and built up. So, new pump, valve, coupler, filter arrangement, etc. I'm a bad fabricator, so this was a fun project to get me into the swing of things. The splitter goes vertically or horizontally, and I've had some big rounds to deal with lately so I love that aspect. I'll line up a bunch of rounds, set myself down on one of them and sit there and split up a half a cord without breaking a sweat. So great! I'm almost done with next year's wood, starting in on the following season this week!!

matt walker
Site Admin

Re: My New Firewood Trailer

Postby 67GTO » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:58 pm

That's the coolest setup I've seen
67GTO

Postby TruGrit » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:07 pm

.. good job Matt!! .. love this kinda stuff .. use the ol' noggin' to save on the muscles .. :)
TruGrit

Postby matt walker » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:33 pm

Thanks guys! I also neglected to mention I picked up a Stihl 044 Magnum a month or so ago and am causing mass destruction around the property lately. Am covered in sweat and chips and bar oil right now, taking a break between tanks.

Three years ahead before September!

That's my motto this spring/summer.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby TruGrit » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:58 pm

... whoa, an 044 .. them trees don't stand a chance .. :shock:
TruGrit

Return to Members' 'steads