Goettl Grove

Start a thread for your 'stead!

Moderator: matt walker

Goettl Grove

Postby Eltemp » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:59 am

In the last few years my wife and have started chafing living in town. So one day when I was taking a nap my wife contacted the bank to prequalify for a loan on a property she came across. So long story short we came out of the deal with 8.4 acres, a house, chicken coop an another small building that had previously been used to house goats.
Goat shed
Chicken coop(new run added for ducklings)
Goat shed with pasture
Birthday gift from my sister
New arrivals this weekend

Thanks for looking at my place. We are planning on expanding and repairing. I have been a follower of this site for about a year now and I have been motivated and enjoying your properties. We have three little boys who are adapting well to the freedoms of country life.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Eltemp

Re: Goettl Grove

Postby matt walker » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:23 am

Looks like a great spot for the boys to grow up Eltemp. Thanks for sharing it with us.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby mannytheseacow » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:00 pm

Welcome, Eltemp! Wow, 8 acres is a lot to maintain. Those goats will really be beneficial. I look forward to seeing your developments as you merge this property into your life. Keep us posted!
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Goettl Grove

Postby Eltemp » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:42 am

Well a bit has past and a lot has been done. We had 100 broilers show up in the mail this week. I was able to get a shed converted to a brooder for them ImageImagewe spent a morning together putting the final touches on the brooder and settling in the chicks before going off to a sitter and me to work.

I have also been putting up electricity tricks fence through the woods and mosquitos. I cut my own corner and line posts from locust which is rot resistant like cedar. We also we gifted with three more goat to the herd putting us up to four French h Alpine and three female fainting goats with papers and scrapie tags even.Image

Also last but not least were two breeder Juliana hogs, a gift from my father who found them from a friend. I am planning on breeding them and butchering. A smaller hog takes up less freezer space and us a lot less pig to mess with my fence.ImageImage

Oh and last but not least is the stray kitty Tom-George. Named and adored by my two year old. He is also the one who gave us a goat named sheep.Image

Eltemp

Postby mannytheseacow » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:28 pm

You're going to have quite the food production going on in no time! Looks like you've made a bunch of great scores!

This is the first I've heard of Juliana hogs. Interesting. I've seen that people use them for pets or hunting truffles, but are they good for food? I like the small freezer space idea. You might even be able to market the smaller cuts at high-end restaurants.

Did you debark your logs before using them for posts or just use them raw? I know those posts last forever. And what's going on with that copper pipe in the wall?
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby Eltemp » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:25 pm

I just used the logs raw. Not sure if it was the best. Choice or not.

The pipe was in the wall of the shes when we bought the place. I can't figure out what the purpose of the pipe was.

The pork is supposed to be sweet and dark with a small rind of fat and slightly marbled. The pork chops are about the size of Lamb chops.

The female I noticed is only foraging for food and lets the male eat everything I put in there. I wonder if this is part of the reason she is so small. They are only 5 months apart in age.

Eltemp

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:24 pm

It has been awhile some I have been on here, but I wanted to say your place looks great. Sounds like your own little piece of Heaven. I an sure the boys will love growing up there. We welcome you aboard and hope you post more pictures and tell us about your progress. You will find it amazing how little improvements that you put in will add up over time. One day you will look around and say WOW look what we have turned this place into, I am sure that you will make it a show place. Like the old Vermont Farmer said when his neighbor told him " My goodness, you and the Lord have made a wonderful Farm here" , his reply " Yeah, but you should have seen it when the Lord had it all to himself". Good Luck with all that you are try to do there.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Return to Members' 'steads