[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Life On The Hill

Life On The Hill

Start a thread for your 'stead!

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Life On The Hill

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:50 pm

It is fall and I am again in the process of sucking up leaves. I have gotten 32 cart load sucked up so far. I normally get about 52 loads so I am well over 1/2 way done. The weather has been unusually warm here in Pa this fall, so it has not been a problem to get them up. The apple trees are all mulched. I lost a mature apple tree this year, the trunk split and it fell over. I have several other mature trees that have started to lean and I have tried to support them with 4X4's . We will see how that works. I am not too optimistic. Replanted some paw paw trees. One took a long time to leaf out, but it is growing now. We will see if it makes it through the winter. The other nut tree I planted a few years ago are all growing and doing well. The pecans are to the top of the plastic tubes I planted the with, I am letting the tubes on because of the deer. I have been putting most of the leaves into a pile in the corner of the garden, I will use them in my next double dug bed that I started yesterday. My goal was to have the entire garden double dug by now, but I have one more section to complete after this one. So now that I am an old man I will have all the rocks out of my garden lol. It has been a labor of love, but now it is starting to feel like work. No other major project here this year, I have been just sitting back and enjoying the view. ;)
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby matt walker » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:44 pm

It's so nice to hear from you Guy, I'm glad the leaves are almost done!
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:06 pm

Hello everyone, good to be back home. It is snowing here today, April 7th, that kind of sucks. My almond trees have been in full bloom for a week now, not sure if they had set any nuts yet. The apple trees have not bloomed yet so they are safe. Many of the other nut trees have not even leafed out yet so I know they are ok. Been working in the garden sifting rocks and sub-soil. More than 1/2 done with this hole, it used to be fun, now it just feels like work. Its heck to get old. lol There is only one more excavation left and I think I will be done with the project and the whole garden will be finished. I have picked up a lot of sticks in the yard, didn't get them all, but I did mow most of the yard and got the little weeds that set seeds and then if you try to pull them the seeds spring off everywhere. That should help for next year. Been checking the bees and feeding them sugar water. They were fine in March. I checked yesterday and there were just a very few bees alive in the box. With this cold snap I do not think they will make it through, not a big enough cluster for them to stay warm. Ordered a new Nuke from a guy in the Burg today. He thinks he should have one for me buy next month. So I have not given up yet, but I am getting close to just throwing my hands up and admitting that I am just not a Bee Keeper. :lol:
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:22 pm

It's always hard to know what you should share on the net, but I feel that I have some good friends here that I wanted to share some sad news in my life. My oldest son Scott was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer Martin Luther King day in Jan. He died Feb 16. Didn't make it much more than a month. My wife and I have been in Wisconsin since new years day to help his wife with the kids while she was with him in the Hospital. He just turned 37 in January. He leaves a wife and 4 children, the youngest one turned 1 in Dec. I always try to keep a positive attitude and stay up beat and positive, but I have felt pretty numb lately. Numb is the best way I can describe it, just numb. I am starting to get my old positive attitude back, but it has taken a toll on me that will take a lot of time to heal. There were 6 of us that shaved our heads when Scott lost his hair, Mine is just starting to grow back, so I look like I just got out of basic training. That is why I have not been on line for awhile.
pa_friendly_guy

It's always hard to know what you should share on the net, but I feel that I have some good friends here that I wanted to share some sad news in my life. My oldest son Scott was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer Martin Luther King day in Jan. He died Feb 16. Didn't make it much more than a month. My wife and I have been in Wisconsin since new years day to help his wife with the kids while she was with him in the Hospital. He just turned 37 in January. He leaves a wife and 4 children, the youngest one turned 1 in Dec. I always try to keep a positive attitude and stay up beat and positive, but I have felt pretty numb lately. Numb is the best way I can describe it, just numb. I am starting to get my old positive attitude back, but it has taken a toll on me that will take a lot of time to heal. There were 6 of us that shaved our heads when Scott lost his hair, Mine is just starting to grow back, so I look like I just got out of basic training. That is why I have not been on line for awhile.
pa_friendly_guy

pa_friendly_guy

Postby mannytheseacow » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:34 pm

"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:00 pm

I agree that the native pollinators can do the job manny. I have enjoyed watching the bees, I have almost brought them through the winter twice now. I made till April both years. It feels like I am close, real close to actually being a bee keeper, lol. I have ordered a nuke for this year, it is from Pittsburgh, same place I got last years bees. Plus I have a second contact now from the bee club that may have an extra nuke for me. So I may actually expand and have 2 hives this year. Many bee keepers recommend 2 hives so you can compare the 2 and see what works for you. I am not ready to give up just yet, although I still have not gotten any honey. It has been a very expensive adventure for me so far. But like my Father in Law always says, money is only good for one thing,,,,,,,,,,,,you have to spend it to get any good out of it. :lol: I will try it again this year. I did buy some wild flower seeds that I plan on planting up by the bees, maybe that will help. ;)
pa_friendly_guy

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:37 pm

My garden did great this year, tomatoes over 7 ft tall, a lot of peppers and cukes. Garlic was the largest I have ever grown, and the asparagus was wonderful. Zucchini did well but is dying back now, salad greens are all done . All in all a good year for the garden. I joined a meet up permaculture group in Indians Pa, about a hour away. They have had several interesting meetings and several farm tours of members homesteads. I have enjoyed the group and met some very interesting people with similar interests and a lot of knowledge about permaculture.
pa_friendly_guy

Postby matt walker » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:56 pm

Great to hear the garden was a success this year Guy. I bet touring other's 'steads was a lot of fun. I'd love to do that.
matt walker
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Members' 'steads